linux

This is the place for anything NOT Ham Radio related. Anything goes as long as it conforms to the Rules
KG7ODP

linux

Post by KG7ODP »

Mike and I got in a discussion about different operating systems today, so I thought I'd start a thread and see where it goes.

1- in my opinion the best distribution for a newb would be ubuntu. because it has a large user group and it is easy to find online answers to almost any question, Multiple answers needed because many people who play experts online are not as bright as they think.
2- major difference file and File are seen as the same in windows they are as different in linux as file and folder in linux, everything is case sensitive in linux.
3-windows use an administrator, linux calls this a super user, use the command sudo, super user do. Never log in as super user it can get you in more trouble than you care for faster than superman flies. Most instruction will guide you with sudo.

Instead of ms office most linux users rely on libre office, it is free some still use open office also free but development has ended. Either will open any windows document, spread sheet, power point, ect.. They can modify windows files and save them in windows format, They cannot create a windows file from scratch. They can also export as pdf, txt and I think more. Both of these can be easily installed on window.
I have successfully used fldigi, chirp, and net logger in linux. I also, use audacity, gimp, firefox, VLC, VIM, . also KMymoney is a free accounting package that runs in linux and windows.

The gray matter is dry now. there is more

k7mkanv7cc
Site Admin

Re: linux

Post by k7mkanv7cc »

Thanks for the info Chris, I hope I get a chance to dip my toes in it when life slows down a bit, and look forward to any further info you want to share.
K7MKA
"Try not. Do, or do not, there is no try." - Yoda
"Help you I can. Yes, mmm." - also Yoda
http://www.k7mka.com

KG7ODP

Re: linux

Post by KG7ODP »

so in the middle of the night My frustrations with windows 10 peaked and I loaded ubuntu on my lap top. didn't even have to install the printer, it found and installed the network printer with no help.

Most important add on in my opinion was Synaptic Package Manager I like it better than the stock software(snaptic can in stall chirp). In linux we talk about packages (small programs) multiple packages make a program, different programs share many packages.