What's Wrong With HAM Radio

The place to talk about anything Ham Radio related. Do not post technical questions here. There is a Forum call "Technical Ham Radio" for the posting of the mechanics or electronics of Ham Radio.
BrendaAF7SW

What's Wrong With HAM Radio

Post by BrendaAF7SW »

This caught my eye this morning because of what we discussed at our July club meeting.
https://qrpblog.com/2020/07/whats-wrong-with-ham-radio/

k7mkanv7cc
Site Admin

Re: What's Wrong With HAM Radio

Post by k7mkanv7cc »

Interesting article Brenda,

Although I can agree that investment (at least for me) into HF, has made the XYL cringe on more than one occasion, and for those looking for "big" right away, makes it an impossible task. There are so many hobbies out there for most, that demand a share of an available budget there is not much dedication these days on just one thing. Although I am sure most of us don't do it intentionally, I can also see where some new hams who see the bigger stations, feel like they can never reach that level of equipment, when simply some (like me) haven't met a cheap radio that I didn't like and my first equipment I ever had was home brewed or bought ultra cheap. We are our own worst enemy when we really get into the hobby, and I can see where some new hams can be intimidated by that room full of equipment, or a backyard full of antenna's, even though a simple dipole, or similar antenna can produce great results.

As far as Gatekeepers, I don't think we as a group have any of that animosity. I don't consider myself an Elmer in any way, not even close, but I am willing to help if someone asks, heck, I may learn something myself in the process.

It is interesting to note that I have met more people in my travels who identified me by my Amateur Radio license plates and walked up to shake hands and introduce themselves by their call signs which probably accounts for twice as many locals or regional 2m or 70cm hams than I ever hear on the air, and when I ask if they still get on the air and where, they say "Oh I haven't been on in years", "antenna fell down", "don't have the time". I don't know the solution to get them back other than to invite them to my local hangout to chat, and sometimes they do, but most times they don't.

We can hope to get everyone who tests and become Hams gets involved in the hobbies and the ARCC, but 1 in 10 (or whatever that number) is better than nothing.

More hams seem to be testing than ever before, and as discussed in the tree meeting, I am sure some are preppers, but in this generation, I will be the first to admit that I can't keep KJ7DUF engaged long enough to work toward his general. There is always some excuse not to study, and that may be the battle that allot of us face in getting new blood more dedicated to the hobby.

I will leave it at that for now.
K7MKA
"Try not. Do, or do not, there is no try." - Yoda
"Help you I can. Yes, mmm." - also Yoda
http://www.k7mka.com

K7ET

Post by K7ET »

General public perception. The fact that Amateur Radio has so many sides to it is also a disadvantage. We do have a PR problem and every time someone meets a Radio Amateur they see a very narrow side of it, that mostly confirms their prejudice set by “an uncle that had a CB too” or a movie with a sad, nerdy, lonely guy playing with his radio. What to do ? Stop showing people keying CW at 40wpm as if that defines our hobby; stop talking about the F-layer and how to calculate a dipole length. Focus on a simpler and clearer message about what we do, that is interesting and relevant to a wider audience. Get people to watch Contact and the ad with the kid that builds a station and talks to astronauts. Educate instead of focusing on showing off your knowledge and jargon.

I wonder if we as a club can change the Public Perception? Possibly the great articles that Mike puts in the papers? Possibly additional articles, or other public engagements?

These are some thing I believe we can consider, and discuss, as a Club.

Thoughts??

k7mkanv7cc
Site Admin

Post by k7mkanv7cc »

I will start at the bottom of Ricks points and comments and move up on some very good points to ponder.

1st, Rachel Dahl is always looking for someone to contribute (both journalistic, and monetarily) as it's hard to run a media driven money generator in this day of Internet and free information, so she has to be creative to try to draw the public interest which in turn results in a revenue stream from her advertisers and public donations. I don't know how long it could be kept fresh, but a weekly, or even monthly column on what is happening in Ham radio, and/or what we are doing will create content for her efforts. I have done a few columns on Trap Shooting and did it get read by the masses, maybe not, but for those with interest, it created more hits to her site and that helps everyone. Sorry I went off topic, but submissions is a great idea.

2nd is "Where is everyone??" As some of you may know, I spend my late nights on 3930, rag chewing with the west coast crowd which most are "old" hams, meaning having many many years as as licensed Amateur, some going back to the late 50's. The topic was broached by K6ODI (from Roseville, CA) the other evening about no one seems to be much on the SSB HF frequencies anymore, and even though 3930 can have 10 to 12 people on at any given time, it seems confined to a normal list of 4 or 5 regulars and a few new people that either see us on a waterfall display, or is twirling through the band. Why is this? Well, through the conversation it was brought up about the diversity of the hobby. Let's make a short not all inclusive list. There is the DMR, Fusion, D-Star, etc... that to me just makes Ham Radio into a fancy Cell Phone "IMHO". Then there is FT4, FT8, etc.. with FT8 seeming to dominate the world with weak signal contacts and gaining popularity every day, and then CW which is no longer a requirement for licensing, but is popular especially with the older hams that did have to know it to pass the test, but the point here is, rarely is there anyone out there that may want to make a new friend by calling CQ, or even answering one, it's just seems to be the same 15 guys on different bands and frequencies talking about their kidney stones, bad backs, and how hot it is, with no interest in having someone else join in (trust me, I have tried); so what is left?

The only time the voice band really wakes up is during contests, and if that is what your into, that's great, but it don't happen every weekend.
Nets! Yes there is a bunch of them, but not necessarily for chatting. You have the WAS nets (OMISS, NATA, YL systems, etc...) where you call a station, exchange signal reports, and move on, to the Skywarn, and Maritime nets where weather is exchanged, or a few land lubbers check in when there is no maritime mobiles at sea.

Disclaimer: This is not a gripe as I enjoy the Sunday nets, but; We check in, tell a short story about our week, listen to everyone else check in, then we are out. Why not bring up a discussion topic like (and this is real for me right now); How do I filter out the ballasts that is creating a pulsing sound on my HF radio coming in through the antenna due to the neighbors illegal marijuana grow operations, and look for comments, and thus start a round table.
The friendly Friday net in Hawthorne on 441.900 (which I frequent) does a general check in list first, then goes down the list twice so you have a chance to comment on something that someone else said, and then sometimes a third time because the topic gets interesting. This net generates sometimes 25 or more people from Hawthorne, Mason, Smith Valley, Silver Springs, and Fallon. It can go on for 2 hours on some nights.

I have listened throughout the band in the beginning afraid (with mike fright) to jump in with my call to see what response I get. I am over that now, but sometimes when I break into a conversation to ask for location, it can be very warm and receptive replies, to "WE WERE TALKING HERE" type responses. No biggie for me, as I don't get discouraged, but I do move on, with the thought back to the popularity of 11 meter (CB) in the 70's and 80's and how similar the potty mouthing or down right rudeness can be .

What is there left to talk about? I don't know CW, I know what it is like to try to explain F-Layer to my XYL (as her eyes glaze over), as she just wants to know how the heck I am talking to Moscow on 20 meters, and wants that answer in simple English, along with other topics like "Why do you want another antenna in the front yard?".

What can we do that will "Focus on a simpler and clearer message about what we do, that is interesting and relevant to a wider audience" as Rick eluded too. You invite someone into your shack, show them how it works, and then encourage them to talk to someone, and I am sure we have all experienced the "No thanks, I will just listen" remarks.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink". I believe that you have to draw interest from those that are genuinely interested before you can sink the hook. If you have someone eager to get a leg up, they are going to dive in, maybe slowly testing the waters at first, but truly diving in eventually. Some have an interest, but don't get past testing the waters. It was pointed out that the movie Contact had a reference to Ham radio, as does Frequency with Dennis Quaid. How about Last man standing? I love the episode where he talks about Thanksgiving and all the family upstairs and creates a pileup. If you haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcxqNEBmNno hopefully you can click the link, otherwise unless it's a school report, a scout project, or a person that wants to move beyond FRS because the world is coming to an end, what is left?
Sorry for the long post, but I am famous for them!

So I will open it up there! Further thoughts?
K7MKA

k7mkanv7cc
Site Admin

Post by k7mkanv7cc »

Here is another link that has an interesting, but not necessarily legal story line and commentary from Last man standing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A44yVT7WKE
K7MKA

k7mkanv7cc
Site Admin

Post by k7mkanv7cc »

One more link. Long, but great topic of this discussion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWDKpCMXLV0
K7MKA